Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Digression

Will be posting soon about a new idea for understanding language through concepts taken from neuroscience and (to some degree) semiotics. It's a bit hard to explain, I'm not entirely sure where it's going, but it looks to be an alternative to grammars that doesn't necessarily discriminate between syntax and semantics. It may take a while, however, since I'm trying to come up with something that's simple and applicable enough to actually count for something.

For the time being, something different:


I've been very glad that winter is approaching. November and December are two of my favorite months, despite how many people are bummed by the cold weather and the shorter days; not as much goes on, people aren't out as late, the day ends before 5:00. I've always kind of liked that when it's in moderation.

A quiet and contemplative calm falls over everything and reveals the sacredness of so many places. When there are few people around and I can hear the wind scratch past my ears in the night, I can wander aimlessly and watch the light protrude from the buildings in Brooklyn Heights and the not-so-distant New York City skyline as if it were giving me just enough light to see where I'm going so that I can contemplate more things.

Winter might not be as fun as spring or summer, but it's much more sacred to me. May be posting pictures soon; for now, someone else's will suffice:



[Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjFJBoSmW3-aNvbTvN0PvCDwi_3lk7pYy1MSROvV0iFyvFq_kyT5HNe_WT60DOewP9P2Hti58Auh-rqGbx3oyPMV7-VZdprGFRDRaGTw2IvDA51xEBvv44jHFZKZxk64U-PBTZDssDGf5Yx/s1600-r/IMG_6057_empire_state_park_snow_scene.jpg]

No comments:

Post a Comment